This page provides a detailed overview of ISO 19011 2011 Annex B.3.
B.3.1. Introduction to Audit Sampling
Management system auditors must be able to reach
A sample is a subset of a larger population. An
audit sample is a data set
Of course, when you're working with samples
there's always the risk
In addition, there's also the risk that your
sample may contain inaccurate
In order to help ensure that you draw valid audit
1. Develop a sampling plan.
1.1. Establish your sampling objectives.
1.2. Identify the population to be sampled.
1.2.1. Define the extent of the population.
1.2.2. Define the composition of the population.
1.3. Select a sampling method.
1.3.1. Select judgment-based sampling, or
1.3.2. Select statistical sampling.
1.4. Determine the sample size.
2. Carry out your sampling activities.
2.1. Select your audit samples.
2.2. Examine your audit samples.
3. Formulate your results and conclusions.
3.1. Compile and evaluate your results.
3.2. Document and report your results.
There are at least two ways of selecting a sample:
B.3.2. Introduction to Judgment-based Sampling
sampling depends on the knowledge,
B.3.3. Introduction to Statistical Sampling
Statistical sampling starts with a plan. Your
statistical sampling plan
Your sampling plan will be influenced by:
1. How big the auditee organization is
2. How much time you have to do the audit
3. How many audits will be done during the year
4. How many competent auditors you have on your team
5. How much confidence you need to have in your results
How much confidence
you need to have is related to how much
Your sampling plan
should also describe the sampling techniques
For example, if your audit objective is to
determine whether or not a
If you decide to use statistical sampling, you
should document the
1. Describe the population that was sampled.
2. Describe the criteria used to define an acceptable sample.
3. Describe the samples and specify the number examined.
4. Describe the statistical methods and parameters used.
5. Describe the results that you obtained.
Praxiom Research Group Limited firstname.lastname@example.org 780-461-4514
Updated on July 12, 2014. First published on May 24, 2012.
Restrictions on the Use of this Page
Copyright © 2012 - 2014 by Praxiom Research Group Limited. All Rights Reserved.